Which version of Velocity is this based on? CTP4?

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Hi Andrea,

Just wondering - which version of Velocity this project is based on...

First, let me admit I just installed the Velocity cache CTP 4 yesterday, and I see distributedcache.exe as a service, modified the config to look at the SQL 2008 server locally.

Also, when I want to rebuild the solution (checked out from TFS), the error manifest signing certificate pops up - I had to remove the Sign Click Ones properties of xx.Win.UI.

After having added a new reference to Ajax Toolkit (dec 2009), the solution could be rebuilt.

Running / debugging the winapp, fine.

Every time I press a button, an Unhandled Exception has occurred - ERRCA0022 substatus ES0006 - looking suspiciously much like http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-SG/velocity/thread/6f4c875d-6e99-4c3d-a578-63153a707d55

Can you help me?

Thnx, Lars

Coordinator
Jan 12, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Hi Lars,

sure it's based on AppFabric Caching Beta1 (aka Velocity CTP4).

Ok, I'm aware about the manifest issue, I'll fix it soon, thanks.

Could you browse the product catalog? Then when you click "add to cart" button you get the error?

Did you try to add grants to same user which runs ASP.NET or to turn security off?

Please let me know.

Andrea

Jan 12, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for your quick response, I wrote a lot, but there was an error while posting it... so, I'll get back tomorrow...

Mean while, how can the security be turned off??

Thanks, you've helped me already enormously..

Lars

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:25 AM

Hi Andrea,

CTP4 / Beta1 :-) Confusing isn't it? At least it's the version that's in C:\Windows\System32\ApplicationServerExtensions...

I got it working - kind of - just one exception - the Winapp Featuredemo doesn't.

Problem was I didn't know the CacheNames I had to add for it to work (CatalogCache, DemoCache and session) so, that's solved.

I still don't know how to turn off the security - but maybe that's not necessary, since the error I got had to do with the above, even though it mentioned...

ERRCA0022 SubStatus ES0006 - temporary failure, cache server unavailable (b-shit :-)) please ensure permission has been granted of the client account....

And of course, I've changed the configs to look at my cache server....

I can browse the product catalog and add to the cart button (web) and see a list of TVs (winapp).

So far, my update...

Lars

ps. Honestly, my first impression of MDC / Velocity is a struggle... Powershell made me feel like the old times with DOS. Couldn't find the commands available.

The DistributedCache.exe service was invisible initially, had to get it to work through PowerGUI and not the Administrative / Services...

The info / documentation is scattered all over the web - and lots of same high level info, not digging into the "how"... or too old (MDCAdmin is based on CTP2/3, so that doesn't work)

http://ecn.channel9.msdn.com/o9/pdc09/ppt/FT26.pptx is a good powerpoint telling that DELL uses MDC, so that's reassuring...

Coordinator
Jan 13, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Hi Lars,

read my answers in red...

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Dutchboy <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi Andrea,

CTP4 / Beta1 :-) Confusing isn't it? At least it's the version that's in C:\Windows\System32\ApplicationServerExtensions...

Yes it is, but If you look to AppFabric it's beta1, then if you look to Velocity Service it's CTP4... I agree with you :S

I got it working - kind of - just one exception - the Winapp Featuredemo doesn't. 

Problem was I didn't know the CacheNames I had to add for it to work (CatalogCache, DemoCache and session) so, that's solved.

This is a great point, I MUST add the cache setup commands to the downloadabel package.

I still don't know how to turn off the security - but maybe that's not necessary, since the error I got had to do with the above, even though it mentioned...

It depends on which user are you running the application (eg ASP.Net uses NETWORK SERVICE), in a single server scenario is not an issue, but if you have a farm, you have to grant any web server that runs a Velocity-Enabled application. In this case any WebServer is also a "Cache-Client" and must be granted (check installation guide for more info)

ERRCA0022 SubStatus ES0006 - temporary failure, cache server unavailable (b-shit :-)) please ensure permission has been granted of the client account....

And of course, I've changed the configs to look at my cache server....

I can browse the product catalog and add to the cart button (web) and see a list of TVs (winapp).

Yes! In my demo I use to copy the full page address, and paste it in another browser instance. Since session id is contained in the URI ("useUri" setting in web.config) you can copy and paste the address, even changing the server host name, to demonstrate that session and cache data is not tied to a single server. I have a 3 virtual server cluster.

So far, my update...

Lars

ps. Honestly, my first impression of MDC / Velocity is a struggle... Powershell made me feel like the old times with DOS. Couldn't find the commands available.

Just type get-cachehelp in PW console.

The DistributedCache.exe service was invisible initially, had to get it to work through PowerGUI and not the Administrative / Services...

The info / documentation is scattered all over the web - and lots of same high level info, not digging into the "how"... or too old (MDCAdmin is based on CTP2/3, so that doesn't work)

IMHO powershell commands are simple and few, I'm also waiting for an official MS tool to manage and monitor Velocity. What I'm saying is that would be great to have a tool that tells how much memory is used, with details on every NamedCache and perf.counter resume from any cachehost...

Jan 13, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Hi Andrea,

What in the name - it's confusing :-) Velocity or AppFabric Cache

Powershell  and my initial reluctance - it was based on "What the Hell..." I thought of an unfinished app - even after some years and still no decent front-end admin app??... But, you're right, it only needs a few commands.. No issue here. Although.. take a look at "netsqlazman" (from an Italian too) - has a perfect front-end... etc - documentation... thorough...

With regards to Ms D Cache - What IS an issue is the shortage - or even non-exsitence of error handling... :-) Your webapp works Cassini and doesn't on IIS7 (locally). In classic mode, Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation... and in integrated mode, The type initializer for 'Microsoft.Data.Caching.DataCacheSessionStoreProvider' threw an exception... Also one app I adjusted for sessions towards MDC worked perfectly on Cassini, but not on IIS7.

Reason for these errors - see above - security... Grant-CacheAllowedClientAccount -Account NetworkService and it works!!! (In my local IIS7 currently all application pools work under the identity NetworkService.)

Come to think of it - you might need to just add a readme file to your zip / install (cos I took the december 9 trunk - I had to work off line, not having a user/pass for TFS)

Your hint with regards to "get-cachehelp" in Powershell - I now know... :-) Someone is learning here... ;-)

You were talking about session sharing - I'm going to try it a bit further - keeping the session out of the url and just passing a query string (with session) when moving to another domain... Keep you informed.

Oh, one other thing about IIS7 - it doesn't like when the configSections is not the first child in a web.config - weird error then.

Would love to actually see / monitor the cache... will look into it soon...

you talked about installation guide - but there is none - only webbased info... (CTP2 had one...)

Thanks, Lars